A 2012 study showed that 74% of adults in the United States felt that a person’s career success can be affected by an unattractive smile. If this isn’t reason enough to maintain good oral hygiene and find a family dentist for you and your kids, then what else is? Your health. Your health should be reason enough to keep up with that daily brushing and flossing as well as going in for routine general dentistry services (cleaning, x-rays, etc.). Below are a list of health risks that result from improper oral health and what you can do to prevent them.
- Tooth decay is four times more common than asthma among those aged 14 to 17 years, so be sure your kids are brushing their teeth.
- Without brushing, you run the risk of gum disease and inflamed gums that can be painful and expensive checkups. Gum disease can also impact your blood sugar.
- 90% of diseases involving multiple organs in body are manifested in the oral cavity. These diseases include diabetes, leukemia, oral cancer, pancreatic cancer, heart disease, and kidney disease.
- Many studies can confirmed that plague buildup can cause heart problems. The heart valves become inflamed and can cause damage to the tissue as well as heart attack.
- Some research has found that there are ties between bad oral hygiene and an increased risk of dementia, so don’t forget to brush your teeth- else you will forget!
In order to prevent these health issues, be sure to do the following
- See a dentist every six months
- Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water
- Brush for two to three minutes at least twice a day
- Floss daily, especially at night, to prevent plague buildup between the teeth
Over 80% of family dentist offices include general practitioners, while about 20% are dental specialists who limit their practices to specialty areas. An affordable dentist for you and your family would most likely be a general practitioner office. At a general dentist office, you can ask questions ranging from “How long should I use mouthwash for?” to “How much is teeth whitening?” To find a dentist for children in particular, consult your local yellow pages or newspaper, there should always be a few ads promoting kid-friendly dentist offices. Refernce materials.