When you have had an injury or surgery, your doctor may refer you to a physical therapist to expand your range of movement. Many surgeries result in muscles that aren’t strong, and you need to be in physical therapy to strengthen them again. Likewise, many people need physical therapy after a sports injury. The physical therapist will make the treatment plan for athletes. It generally consists of specific exercises done in the physical therapy center a few times a week.
Are there online physical therapy programs? In general, no. If you cannot leave your home because of your injury or surgery, you can have a physical therapist come to your home to run you through the exercises. Injury therapy can be complex, and it is often painful. The sports therapy clinics near me will do their best to keep you comfortable, but injury therapy will likely hurt as you keep pushing your muscles harder. A sports therapy doctor will determine that you need physical therapy. Still, the physical therapist generally decides how long you will need treatment and what you will do in it. You will also be given exercises to do at home.
On most Monday mornings your wife drives herself into her weekly blood check, but this week she had a physical therapy appointment. In case she was too sore after this first appointment you thought that it was best to go along as the driver. You are crossing your fingers that the physical therapy goes well because the back pain that she has been experiencing has become unbearable.
Whether you are seeking relieve from knee pain or hip pain, a physical therapist can help you make your way through the pain and back to normal in many cases. From wrist pain to hip pain, physical therapists have many exercises to help their patients regain their normal range of motion and go back to their everyday tasks at home, at work, and at the gym.
How Many Times Have You Had to Go to Physical Therapy AppointmentsAthletes are often used to the recovery process of working through injuries or recovering from surgeries. It is not, however, only athletes who require the services of physical therapists. Aging adults, car accident victims, and others also find themselves in need of physical therapy exercises to make sure that they are able to get back to their everyday lives.
Consider some of these common physical therapy needs:
- The best physical therapists can help patients heal sooner than patients who do not get use these services. For instance, one study shows that medical costs for low back pain can be as much as $2,736.23 lower for patients receiving early physical therapy.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that by the year 2022, physical therapist employment growth will increase by 36%.
- The most common form of arthritis is osteoarthritis (OA). Sometimes referred to as “wear and tear” arthritis or degenerative joint disease, this condition most frequently affects the knees, hips, and hands.
- Every single year 50% of the adults in the U.S. develop a musculoskeletal injury that persists longer than three months.
- 31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given time.
- Hip pain affects nearly 7% of U.S. adults at any given time, acording to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).